Panama Canal Partial Transit Northbound Tour
Select Dates All Year
5 - 6 hours
English and Spanish
* Important: Pickup and check-in times are confirmed the day before the tour. This is because the exact schedule is not released by the Canal Authority until the day before the tour. You will receive an email from Tiqy before 6pm the day before the tour confirming check-in and pick up times. If you do not receive this email you need to contact us to confirm the tour times.
This tour starts at Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco), which you can get to by taxi or bus in about 15 minutes from Panama City. Here you will complete check-in at our check-in office (right next to the Panama Sign) and board the Pacific Queen. Check-in normally occurs between 6.30am and 7.30am.
For those who have foreigners tickets, there is a free pick up and drop off included at some hotels. If you have a foreigner ticket, the pick-up time at your hotel is normally between 5:30 and 6:30 in the morning (pick up time may vary every day depending on the Panama Canal Authority). You can see the list of select hotels for pick up and drop off at the end of this description. If you have a foreigner ticket and would like to be picked up from one of these hotels, you need to reply to your booking confirmation email and request to be picked up at your hotel. You do not have to be staying at the hotel, you can go there in the morning and be there for the pickup time.
You have until 11:30 am the day before the tour to provide us with the name of the hotel where you want to be picked up and returned. If we receive this information after this time we will not be able to organize your transportation and you will have to go on your own to Isla Flamenco where you have to check in.
After check-in, you will board the Pacific Queen and start your northbound journey through the canal. You will set sail towards the entrance of the canal and experience the amazing Panama Bay and the views of the city, and then head towards the Bridge of the Americas. Your guide will give you an introduction to the canal and explain what is going to happen on the tour. The guide is bilingual in English and Spanish and is available for any questions that you might have.
Breakfast will be served on the boat, and this normally includes scrambled eggs, a dinner roll, a banana, and comes with coffee, juice, tea and cake.
The Pacific Queen will then enter the Miraflores locks where you will be raised 18 meters above sea level in two distinct steps, followed by entering the Miraflores Lake. The Miraflores Lake is an artificial body of fresh water that separates Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks.
You will also be served lunch on the boat. Lunch consists of chicken, sautéed vegetables, rice, green salad, a dinner roll, cake and a cookie. There is unlimited soda and water on the boat for the entire trip. There is wine and beer available for purchase. There is also a snack bar for additional purchases.
The Pedro Miguel Locks are the second set of locks that you will go through. Here the vessel is raised 9 meters in one step. After exiting the Pedro Miguel Locks, you will be able to view the new Centennial Bridge which crosses over the Canal. During the process of going through the two locks you will be able to see the gates opening and closing, and the water rising. Normally you are alongside a much larger vessel when going through the locks. It is amazing to see the size of these vessels. There are great photo opportunities while going through the locks.
Finally, you will sail into the Gailard Cut where the Chagres River flows into the Canal. This area is one of the main points of interest for visitors, and your guide will explain how it was carved through the Continental Divide. Feel free to ask any questions.
The Pacific Queen will then arrive at Gamboa Dredging Division, where you will disembark. The boat journey in total is normally about 4 hours 30 minutes or 5 hours, so you normally disembark at Gamboa around 12:30 or 13:00. All times can vary depending on the Schedule of the Canal. There will be buses waiting here. Some buses to bring people back to their hotels, and the other buses to bring people back to Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco). This bus journey normally takes about 45 minutes.
List of pickup/drop off hotels for those who have foreigner tickets:
- Hampton by Hilton
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Best Western Zen
- Wyndham Tryp (Panama Centro)
- Hyatt Place Panama
- The Bristol
- Riu Plaza Panama
- Marriott Hotel
- Hilton Doubletree
- Golden Las Americas
- Hard Rock Hotel
- Intercontinental Miramar
- Hilton Panama
- American Trade Hotel
- Radisson Panama Canal
- Sheraton Grand Panama
- Ramada Plaza (Punta Pacifica)
- JW Marriott Panama
Please respond to your booking confirmation email if you wish to be picked up at one of these hotels.
* Please note that prices are higher when booking for a date during high season (November 1st to April 30th).
* There is no specific vegetarian option, but it is cafeteria/buffet style so you can avoid the meats
* There are currently no gluten free options on the menu, so we recommend bringing something yourself if you have gluten free requirements
* If there is no availability on the day that you want, please check the other tours on this website as we also have a southbound tour which runs on different dates.
Tour Tickets (may vary by date)
|Adult Foreigner (p/p)
|Adult Resident (p/p)
|Child Foreigner (Age 3-11)
|Child Resident (Age 3-11)
|Child (Age 0-2)
5:30 – 6:30
Hotel Pickup (The time will be confirmed the day before by email)
6:30 – 7.30
Check-in Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco) (The time will be confirmed the day before by email)
7:30 – 12:30
Transit through the canal and two locks (times are subject to change on the day)
Return to hotel or Flamenco Island (times are subject to change on the day)
- Hotel pick-up from select hotels on the above list (foreigner tickets only)
- Unlimited free water and soda
- Wine and Beers available for Purchase
- Snack Bar for purchases
- Bilingual Guide (English and Spanish)
- Sail through two locks
- Learn the history of the Canal and Panama
- Return bus to Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco) or to Select Hotels (foreigner tickets only)
- All canal fees are included in the ticket price, there are no extra charges or fees
- Free Panama Canal Map
- Purchases of beer and wine
- Purchases in the snack bar
- Mosquito Spray
- Use sunblock / sunscreen.
- Dress light.
- Bring a hat
- Bring cash to purchase beers, wine, additional snacks
- Bring your camera or your phone fully charged
Cancel before 48 hours and you will receive a full refund, after this point there are no refunds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the capacity of the boat for people?
The boat can accommodate 230 people.
How many floors does the boat have? Are the facilities covered and air-conditioned?
The boat has 3 floors. 2 floors are covered and have air conditioning and 1 floor is on the outside.
How many bathrooms does the boat have?
The boat has 6 bathrooms.
Does the boat have elevators or ramps for the disabled?
The boat does not have elevators or ramps for the disabled and all access to the floors are with stairs.