Panama Canal Full Transit Tour
Select Dates All Year
English and Spanish
* Important: Pickup and check-in times are confirmed the day before the tour. This is because the exact schedule is not released by the Canal Authority until the day before the tour. You will receive an email from Tiqy before 5pm the day before the tour confirming check-in and pick up times. If you do not receive this email you need to contact us to confirm the tour times.
This tour starts at Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco), which you can get to by taxi or bus in about 15 minutes from Panama City. Here you will complete check-in at our check-in office (right next to the Panama Sign) and board the Pacific Queen. Check-in normally occurs between 6.30am and 7.30am.
For those who have foreigners tickets, there is a free pick up and drop off included at some hotels. If you have a foreigner ticket, the pick-up time at your hotel is normally between 5:30 and 6:30 in the morning (pick up time may vary every day depending on the Panama Canal Authority). You can see the list of select hotels for pick up and drop off at the end of this description. If you have a foreigner ticket and would like to be picked up from one of these hotels, you need to reply to your booking confirmation email and request to be picked up at your hotel. You do not have to be staying at the hotel, you can go there in the morning and be there for the pickup time.
After check-in, you will board the Pacific Queen and start your northbound journey through the canal. You will set sail towards the entrance of the canal and experience the amazing Panama Bay and the views of the city, and then head towards the Bridge of the Americas. Your guide will give you an introduction to the canal and explain what is going to happen on the tour. The guide is bilingual in English and Spanish and is available for any questions that you might have.
Breakfast will be served on the boat, and this normally includes scrambled eggs, a dinner roll, a banana, and comes with coffee, juice, tea and cake.
The Pacific Queen will then enter the Miraflores locks where you will be raised 18 meters above sea level in two distinct steps, followed by entering the Miraflores Lake. During the process of going through the locks you will be able to see the gates opening and closing, and the water rising. Normally you are alongside a much larger vessel when going through the locks. It is amazing to see the size of these vessels. There are great photo opportunities while going through the locks. The Miraflores Lake is an artificial body of fresh water that separates Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks.
You will also be served lunch on the boat. Lunch consists of chicken, sautéed vegetables, rice, green salad, a dinner roll, cake and a cookie. There is unlimited soda and water on the boat for the entire trip. There is wine and beer available for purchase. There is also a snack bar for additional purchases.
The Pedro Miguel Locks are the second set of locks that you will go through. Here the vessel is raised 9 meters in one step. After exiting the Pedro Miguel Locks, you will be able to view the new Centennial Bridge which crosses over the Canal.
You will sail into the Gaillard Cut where the Chagres River flows into the Canal. This area is one of the main points of interest for visitors, and your guide will explain how it was carved through the Continental Divide. Feel free to ask any questions.
There will be some light afternoon snacks served on board, as you travel through Gatun Lake, which was formed by erecting the Gatun Dam across the Chagres River. As you transit through Gatun Lake you will pass the Smithsonian Research Station at Barro Colorado. You will also experience the Gatun Locks, which are the only set of locks in the Atlantic sector. During a process of 3 distinct locks, the boat will be lowered a massive 26 metres to bring you back to sea level on the Atlantic Ocean.
The Pacific Queen will then arrive at Colon, where you will disembark. The boat journey in total is normally about 9 or 10 hours, so you normally disembark at Colon around 17:30 or 18:00. All times can vary depending on the Schedule of the Canal. There will be buses waiting to bring you back to Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco). This normally takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes to get back. Once you arrive at Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco). For clients with foreigner tickets who have hotel drop offs, will board a different bus which will bring you back to your hotel.
List of pickup/drop off hotels for those who have foreigner tickets:
- Hampton by Hilton
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Best Western Zen
- Wyndham Tryp (Panama Centro)
- Hyatt Place Panama
- The Bristol
- Riu Plaza Panama
- Marriott Hotel
- Hilton Doubletree
- Golden Las Americas
- Hard Rock Hotel
- Intercontinental Miramar
- Hilton Panama
- American Trade Hotel
- Radisson Panama Canal
- Sheraton Grand Panama
- Ramada Plaza (Punta Pacifica)
- JW Marriott Panama
Please respond to your booking confirmation email if you wish to be picked up at one of these hotels.
* Please note that prices are higher when booking for a date during high season (November 1st to April 30th).
* There is no specific vegetarian option, but it is cafeteria/buffet style so you can avoid the meats
* There are currently no gluten free options on the menu, so we recommend bringing something yourself if you have gluten free requirements
Tour Tickets (may vary by date)
|Adults Foreigner (P/P)||180.00 (USD)|
|Adults Resident (P/P)||125.00 (USD)|
|Child (Age 0-2)||0.00 (USD)|
|Child Foreigner (Age 3-11)||95.00 (USD)|
|Child Resident (Age 3-11)||80.00 (USD)|
5:30 - 6:30
Hotel Pickup (The time will be confirmed the day before by email)
6:30 - 7:30
Check-in Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco) (The time will be confirmed the day before by email)
7:30 - 17:30
Full Transit through the canal locks (times are subject to change on the day)
17:30 - 19:00
Return to hotel and Flamenco Island (times are subject to change on the day)
- Hotel pick-up from select hotels on the above list (foreigner tickets only)
- Afternoon Snacks
- Unlimited free water and soda
- Wine and Beers available for Purchase
- Snack Bar for purchases
- Bilingual Guide (English and Spanish)
- Sail through the entire canal, Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean
- Learn the history of the Canal and Panama
- Return bus to Flamenco Island (Isla Flamenco) and to Select Hotels (see list on this page)
- All canal fees are included in the ticket price, there are no extra charges or fees
- Free Panama Canal Map
- Purchases of beer and wine
- Purchases in the snack bar
- Mosquito Spray
- Use sunblock / sunscreen.
- Dress light.
- Bring a hat
- Bring cash to purchase beers, wine, additional snacks
- Bring your camera or your phone fully charged
Cancel before 7 Days and you will receive a full refund, after this point there are no refunds.